Sunday, 2 May 2021

Colonel Luke Lillingstone

A blue plaque on the side of the Kings Head in Swan Street, Lichfield tells how, on 25th March 1705, the colonel raised a regiment of foot. This regiment became the 38th foot in 1751, becoming the 1st Staffordshire Regiment the following year, and the South Staffordshire Regiment in 1882.

What is less well known is the 38th Regiment of Foot were first raised as Sir John Guise's Regiment of Foot in 1688 and disbanded in 1694, only to be raised a second time in 1694 (by Colonel Lillingstone) and disbanded two years later.

No comments:

Post a Comment